Anticipated disruptions may include:
- Clusters of natural disasters, patterns of apocalyptic planetary crises, or "Earth Changes" (tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, blizzards, solar storms, severe thunderstorms, floods, tsunamis).
- Anthropogenic disasters (chemical spills, release of radioactive materials, nuclear or conventional war, oppressive governments).
- The general collapse of society caused by the shortage or unavailability of resources such as electricity, fuel, food, or water.
- Financial disruption or economic collapse (caused by monetary manipulation, hyperinflation, deflation, or depression).
- A global pandemic.
- Widespread chaos or some other unexplained apocalyptic event.
Homesteading is very closely related. It is a lifestyle of self-sufficiency that is characterized by subsistence agriculture, home preservation of foodstuffs, and it may or may not also involve the small scale production of textiles, clothing, and craftwork for household use or sale. Homesteading is generally differentiated from rural village or commune living by isolation (either socially or physically) of the homestead. Homesteading is essentially the final evolution of prepping.
There are 3 basics for prepping:
Food needs to include all forms of ingestable nourishment, including water and vitamin supplements.
Shelter needs to include all items & structures to keep you safe from all the elements, including clothing.
Security needs to include not only security from people and animals who intend harm, but also medical equipment, medications (prescription and non-prescription).